You may or may not be aware of a piece of new legislation. The Consumer Product Safety Improvement Act (CPSIA) was passed in August of this year. It came as a result of last years crazy mess of lead and phthalates tainted children's products from China. Well your voice was heard. The CPSC with the approval of Congress and President Bush wrote a very broad law forbidding any untested products from being sold in the US market. This is great!
1. Start by forwarding this information to everyone you know. Parents of young children are not the only ones touched by this legislation.
2. Vote for amending the law on Change.org. With enough votes it will be presented to President Obama in January!
3. Find your Congress people and write a letter like the sample here. Particularly if they serve on the House Subcommittee on Commerce, Trade and Consumer Protection or the House Committee on Small Business. If you click here you will be taken to a site that will help you automatically contact your local representatives with a form letter (very fast and easy)!
5. Sign this petition, to be submitted to the CPSC.
6. Check out these additional resources: